It’s the end of a long day. You have taken off your wig and have placed it carefully on your wig stand to store for the night. Then, you see it: a tangle. Not just any tangle. This may be the world’s biggest tangle. You frantically grab your styling products and comb and get to work.
Let’s rewind. Are there ways to battle the tangle from the beginning? Like real hair, wigs can experience tangles. In fact, wigs can sometimes be more likely to tangle due to the lack of natural oils of your scalp that natural hair has. These oils work like a natural conditioner that defends against tangles and knots. Of course, it’s not foolproof, as anyone can attest, but those oils help. Your wigs don’t have these oils, so they need your help to stay tangle-free.
1. Rinse with cold or cool water. Cold water helps close the cuticle, which not only adds radiance to the hair but also prevent many forms of hair tangles.
2. Avoid rubbing your hair vigorously with a towel. After taking a bath, people usually dry their hair by rubbing with towel. But this can only cause more tangling. The better way to dry your hair is to blot it gently with a towel.
3. Use a detangling spray or conditioning product that will help reduce hair tangles. It can be in a form of leave on conditioner that you can apply on the area where most tangles occur.
4. Do not use a brush on hair that is already tangled. Remove the tangles first by gently pulling the strands with your fingers or a wide tooted comb.
5. Make a habit of combing your hair from the bottom upwards.
6. Do not allow your hair to fly freely in the wind unless you want to have a hair full of tangles afterwards.
7. Never wet your hair when it is already tangled because this will only worsen the situation. Instead, spritz the tangle with a shine serum spray and then massage the knotted area with the palms of your hands. This will help loosen up the tangled area. Untangle with your fingers or a wide toothed comb afterwards.
8. Use high quality hair irons. Hair irons are great for giving your hair a straightened look that is free from frizz and fly-aways. Hair that is smooth and sleek is less prone to tangles.
9. Untangle your knotted hair immediately. Do not wait until tomorrow or next week until you do something about the tangles in your head.
Ali Grace Contact: